Skip to main content

Post #1: A Blog for HRGC

zemi pic
A "Zemi" from the St. John's River Site (GREN-G-8) that has never been published or featured anywhere

All of us in HRGC are academics, so we do a lot of writing. And yet, a lot of this writing never goes anywhere-- it ends up as outtakes or shortened footnotes. Like this zemi from the St. John's River site (above), so much work never sees the light of day. There are also lots of common questions people often ask that would not normally go in academic writing (e.g., it's "St. George's Town" but "St. George Parish"-- we'll get to that later).

So we thought a blog would be a good place to deposit these sundry scraps of knowledge. Hope you enjoy!

-JAH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marking an ‘X’: Exploring the History of Grenada’s Surnames

Despite the widespread belief that most Grenadian surnames today are derived from plantation/slave owners, many former enslaved men actually used their first (and only) names to create their family names.This is the case for a plurality of both English and French-derived surnames today.That means your surname may contain a clue to the name of your last enslaved male ancestor.A smaller percentage of Grenadian surnames, both English and French, are derived from plantation owners, and this often indicates a blood connection.Maybe we can see these surnames as more a creation of the newly freed Grenadians to establish identity, rather than something imposed upon them, as was the case in other countries.Malcolm X, the son of Grenadian Louise Langdon Norton Little (1895/6-1989), made famous the identity struggles of Black people in the diaspora when he replaced his family name of Little (or what has also been termed his “slave name”) with an ‘X’ to signify his lost or robbed African identity…

Le Bourg du Grand Marquis

What do the ruins in this village tell us about Grenada's history?  The name “Marquis” was quite common in 17th century France (also used as a title for nobility), and several colonists of the La Grenade colony carried the name. For instance, “Fort Marquis” in Beausejour (yes, Beausejour) was named after its commander Lieutenant Le Marquis (later convicted for assisting a rebellion with one Major Le Fort). It was also the name given to an indigenous “Captain” on the eastern side of the island who presumably lived in the area of Marquis, St. Andrew today.1 The remains of his village were mostly destroyed when the French town of Grand Marquis was built, but there are still some remnants left. Indeed, unbeknownst to most people, the pre-Columbian site at Grand Marquis is one of only a handful that date before ~AD 500 in Grenada.
The Earliest Human PresenceIn 1992 (and again in 1994), archaeologist Anne Cody surveyed along the Little St. Andrew’s River behind the ruins of the old F…

The Grenadines Will Always Be Grenadian! (Because of Their Name)

The Grenadines, from Bequia to Carriacou, were once entirely owned and administered by Grenada, hence their original name Granada y Granadillos (<AmSp Granada + illos: “little Grenadas”). A few of the approximately 125 small islands, islets, and rocks were first settled by the French in the mid-1700s, the last islands to be colonized by Europeans, most likely due to their small size, arid landscape, and the absence of yearlong streams. Today, Carriacou, Petite Martinique, Ronde, and some 30 small islets are dependencies of Grenada. The rest are now part of St. Vincent.



In 1784, the Grenadines were officially partitioned on the recommendation of Lieutenant Governor Valentine Morris of St. Vincent who believed that the islands, especially those closer to his island, would be better served administratively and for security reasons if transferred to St. Vincent. Following the outbreak of the War of American Independence, Governor Morris had become weary that if Grenada was returned to…